Thursday, August 03, 2006

What do Christians Really Know about Anything?

Edie Britt: Mary Alice how is it we're having a conversation when you've been absent from us for more than a year.
Mary Alice Young: I haven't been away. It's ok to say that I died a year ago. Well, maybe it's a good thing you're having this chat with me since I'm the ideal person to talk about some matters, as it turns out. Not that I claim to have cornered the market on absolute truth, after all, I'm just a disembodied voice or memory, but I'm getting ahead of myself. I just wanted to reassure you, or anyone who happens to be eaves-dropping on our conversation. You never know who's reading over your shoulders these days.
Edie: So the obvious question, how-- No? I'm sorry, I just had to ask, but I'll let you decide what you want to tell me.
Mary Alice: To play it safe, I think you're going to have to be the one to ask yourself the big questions. And we'll try to answer them as best as we can. Though, to not turn off anyone who might be catching wind of our subject, no one should worry, this is not a medium's channel. I'm more a symbol of the afterlife than any actual person from the "Other Side."
Edie: That's a let down, I was so hoping you were the real thing.
Mary Alice: Well, if anything, Edie, I hope I continue being a real memory worth holding onto from time to time when something reminds you of me, or something I said.
Edie: I like that. Ok, let's have this odd little talk, shall we?
Mary Alice: Well, I can only tell you what I knew or suspected when I was alive. so you don't expect anything out of the ordinary, no floating tables and moving lights and such,
Edie: This is a very odd conversation we're having. When you think of it, I think I'm having this "conversation" all by myself.
Mary Alice: What are you so afraid of. I mean even in the gospels there's that "fictional" parable or tale about Lazarus the beggar and the rich man who went to hell right after he died and was able to hold a conversation with Lazarus in heaven. Or was it with Father Abraham? You get the point. You know that's just symbolic of guilty lives and missed opportunities. There's very little chance that Lazarus, Father Abraham and the rich man were able to converse over such long distances.
Edie: Ahem, I think we're digressing here. So I'll ask you point blank. Don't we Christians know anything about at least one subject, namely Christ or the spiritual life? Or do you mean something else by saying that Christians know nothing at all?
Mary Alice: I'm mainly inferring that when it comes to other people's beliefs, non-Christians I mean, whether of other religions, or agnostic, atheists, etc., we think we know when actually we're very arrogant to say that we have all the answers.
Edie: Well, we have Christ and his free gift of eternal life.
Mary Alice: Yes, and for that I'm grateful, but some of us, and I'm including myself to not deceive myself that I sometimes don't get these feelings, as I was saying, some of us think that we have so much truth, or even Truth, that everyone else falls short. And that is arrogance any way you look at it.
Edie: So if you feel that way, why continue being so gung ho on the Christian life. Maybe you should look elsewhere for your answers? This is an odd conversation, Mary Alice, since you can't very well look anywhere else.
Mary Alice: Think of it as a rhetorical statement, Edie. It will make things easier.
Edie: Why go in search of what may or may not be there? For the most part the Christian life is rewarding, but when they talk of "being broken" before Christ can heal you, then all I can think of is ouch!
Mary Alice: Well, better to admit that you need Christ because you are not all-mighty and self-sufficient as far as the hereafter is concerned, and not just the here and now, and find the necessary healing to make this life as meaningful as possible, and have eternal life to look forward to, as well.
Edie: That can be a hard sell with non-Christians or people who are into the "I can do it all by myself, thank you" movement. What is it called? Something with bleep, bleep, bleep? Or is it blah, blah, blah? Well, anyway, who are we to judge how other people like to spend their days, nights, and the virtual hours they spend in the Web or the Blogosphere? Or is all this an exerise in futility and pointless rambling, this talk with your ghost, Mary Alice? Or is this a way to hold onto the fading memory of a good friend? Mary Alice? Are you still there? Hm, looks like I'm talking to myself yet again, at the end of the day.

2 comments:

Marcel said...

Very interesting. I'm wondering if this may turn into a treatment for a future script?

Raul Batista (Varonelo) said...

Marcel, thanks for taking time to post a comment in this Desperate Christian Housewives blog. I'm not sure about future script, but it would be nice for the show to have some spiritual themes from time to time and not just people sitting in pews as they did last season. God bless.