Saturday, July 22, 2006

Why does the Christian life have to be so frustrating?

Lynnette: I'm sometimes tempted to think I was happier when I wasn't a Christian, but, of course, that's not entirely true.
Vree: Well, I've always been a Christian and look how happy I seem to be. You're not convinced? That's very ill-manered of you to question someone's spiritual perception of themself.
Lynnette: Sweetie, it's not that, it's, oh, never mind. Some things are better left unsaid. What I'm talking about is when I feel that the kids are more a curse than a blessing, I feel guilty, which is not often. No no, I mean, I seldom think of them as being a curse, as I'm sure you'll agree with your own attitude towards your kids. Never mind, again. I know at least your son, leaves much to be desired.
Vree: I take offense at that, Lynette. Wait till your three boys are his age, and see what surprises they have up their sleeves. I hope it's nothing as challenging as my son's sexual identity, or his great dislike of me. When I feel I've failed him as a mother, I start to hate myself just a little bit, and that's the last thing I need. I've got problems with alcohol, as I'm sure you know, and to pile self-hatred on top of that, is not very intelligent living.
Lynnette: Why does the Christian life have to be so frustrating? Do Buddhists, Hindus, and other religions have it easier?
Vree: Don't covet someone else's supposed simplicty. They may have comparable problems within their own world view, or maybe, Christianity is too different to compare with other non-Biblical religions. What about Judaism, that's Biblical?
Lynnette: Well, I know very little about Judaism. I've only been to a Reform temple twice many years ago, and heard one Reform Rabbi give a "This is Judaism" presentation at my Christian college. Their emphasis seems to be on the Torah, the Law of Moses, tradition and Rabbinical commentary. There's a great ethical component in the religious jews I've encountered. But, if you belive Woody Allen to be an authority of some sort, there is also a heavy guilt component in Judaism, as well.
Vree: Christian guilt is different, lighter I imagine. It can, however, be as crippling as any kind of guilt, religious or otherwise.
Lynnette: I wish--here I'm wishing my life away again--but honestly, I wish Jesus Christ would come back again and soon. It would be so perfect to be rid of the Middle East conflict, of death and dying, and of those weekly nightime soap operas.

No comments: